Sunday 19 April 2015

VW Golf Mk2 GTI 16V Radiator Fan Not Working When Car Hot - Overheating

I've thought for some time that the radiator fan on my VW Golf Mk2 GTI 16V didn't seem to be cutting in when the car had warmed up but as most journeys I do are on the motorway it's not been too apparent.

When driving in town recently I found that the fan is definitely not coming on and the car does start to overheat if driven in traffic. I needed to check if the fan motor had broken or if it was just the thermostat switch that needed replacing.

Fortunately it's an easy test to do, all you need to check is that when you remove the plug to the radiator and connect the two terminals the fan comes on. This is the same as if the switch was working and turning on if the radiator gets hot. Luckily the fan did work when the terminals were connected so next on my purchase list is a new radiator cooling fan switch which is much cheaper than a new fan motor!

VW Golf Mk2 GTI 16V Radiator Fan Not Working - car overheats
VW Golf Mk2 GTI 16V Radiator Fan Not Working 

No comments:

Post a Comment